Monday, June 13, 2011

Words with Friends and Sewing on Sunday

McCall's 5425 View A
Yesterday I bounced back and forth between Words with Friends and my sewing machine.  It was a great way to spend a hot sunny afternoon!

I fell in love with this fabric at an estate sale - $3.  It was a remnant that had already been used many years ago.  I am basing "many years ago" on the fact that it smelled like it had been stored for years in a musty basement.  I looked online to try to find out what it might be made of - a synthetic or silk.  The bottom line was that if I treated it like silk, it didn't matter.  So I washed it on delicate with Woolite.  My wonderful black and white geometric fabric was now black and light grey.  My guess is that really old fabrics are not as colorfast as they are today.  Any feedback on this is welcome!

The dress is just as shapeless when I am wearing it as it looks on the dress form.  My husband thought it was a swim cover up and that might be how I wear it.  Or it might be just right for relaxing on the porch after a day at the beach.  The side seams curve in at the bottom which makes the middle pooch out a little.  I don't need any more curves in the middle so I will flare the bottom out or at least make it straight if I make this pattern again.  Belting it might help.  I have enough fabric left to switch the tie to a belt and make the straps like views B and C.

The next project is a Cynthia Rowley top (Simplicity 2593) for my daughter that has The Dreaded and Feared Bias Tape at both the neck and arm openings.  (You can see her fabric behind the pattern envelope above.)  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. What a cute dress! I think a red belt would look great...and be perfect for Bulldog games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The United States must be a fabric lover's paradise. How can a whole BOLT be so unexpensive. Here in Europe fabric in general is much more pricey. Even so my stash is too big!

    ReplyDelete