Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Perennials - SO Thrifty!


Perennials are the perfect thrifty plant for the garden!  It is more of an investment the first year, but this is only the second year for these plants and they have come back beautifully.  Well, except for the pitiful one I tried to transplant in 94 degree weather.  I just deadheaded these last week and they are in full bloom again. 

The wall behind the flowers - free!  When they dug out the foundation for our house they removed these huge boulders.  One is so big it is still in the front yard as it was too heavy for a landscaping bulldozer to move.  When it came time to design the backyard we replaced plans for an expensive retaining wall with the rocks we had on hand.  The natural look of the stone makes a wonderful backdrop for a border garden.   

When you have new plants you have to keep them watered.  To water the plants without feeling guilty about the amount of water they need or about a huge water bill, I have a number of water collecting places around the house.  This one collects the condensation from the main air conditioning unit.  I fill the 5 gallon bucket and partially fill the smaller bucket every day.  There is also a large ziploc that collects a smaller amount of water from another unit.  I collect water when I heat up the shower (when I remember) and I also use the water from the dehumidifier.  Another benefit to collecting water is not having to unroll the hose and put it back away each time I water.  Developing upper body strength is also a plus!

Perennials are buy 2 get 1 free at Home Depot - with the coupon in their gardening club email.  I might just have to add something new this year... if the weather cools off a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment