Saturday, February 11, 2012

Progress!

Felted Sweater Throw Update


In quilting blogs I've read about the importance of checking your color combinations by taking a picture.  I am so glad I did!  The throw definitely needed more orange.  I thought I didn't have any pieces big enough so I decided to sew some orange scraps together.  Instead I was able to cut two very narrow strips.  I added those, mixed it up some more and was ready to pin it all together. 

Overlapping the edges 1/2 inch in what Betz White describes in her book, Warm Fuzzies, in a "shingle" technique took some time. (The pieces are all lapped in one direction and then reversed for the next strip. When sewing the strips together, they are lapped in the same direction.)  Being precise was important so I couldn't eyeball it as I usually do.

Using my 1/4 inch foot, I sewed the pieces together.  This left a 1/4 seam allowance on both sides of the throw. 

I've been studying on this throw for a long time and have read at least three books on recycling sweaters.  One book insisted that stabilizer is necessary for sewing the sweaters together without stretching them out of shape.  I have to admit there is a little bit a waviness to some of the seams, but I just didn't want to go the expense (hence the thrifty in Oh Sew Thrifty) or to the trouble to remove the stabilizer later.  I think it looks fine.




Next I will clip my threads, even up the edges and decide how to embellish it.  This is for my 17 year old son, so nothing fancy.  The throw in Warm Fuzzies has ribbed edging on the ends only.  (It mimics fringe.)  Or maybe a blanket stitch all the way around the edge instead?  And/or a monogram since I hope he will be taking it to college someday?

Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the blanket stitch all the way around--as long as it's enough to keep it from unravelling/fraying. Blanket-stitching on a monogram sounds great, too, as long as it is sewn by hand--I think the machine would cause it to stretch/add waviness...which, btw, I don't see any of it in the picture--kudos for saving a little there! I think perhaps a walking foot, if you have one, would help, too? Just guessing. I've never even thought of doing this with sweaters and can only imagine how wonderfully warm and comfortable it will be! Can't wait to see it finished! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitley try my walking foot next time! Wish I'd thought of that. I like the idea of the monogram. My son is on his way back from his first college visit. He loved the experience and thinks the throw is perfect for school - where ever he ends up! I guess I will feel better when he leaves if he takes a few homemade treasures with him. Thanks for your quick response!

      Delete