Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Fall Project - No Time To Post!

My daughter had a dance the first week in December.  We started shopping in early November and hoped we would get as lucky as we did last year.  Unfortunately, we found nothing!  We even started shopping in the $250 range in pure desperation.  If you know me well, you know that is way out of my comfort zone!  We still did not find anything appropriate.

On a lark, I went to Hancock fabrics during one of their $.99 pattern sales to see if there was an easy pattern that would look well on her.  I found one that seemed to be exactly what she was looking for.  It lets you design your own dress by choosing from the different options.



My daughter loved the pattern - but a different view!  I liked this one.



She picked the bodice that had no room for error on the fit. 



And she wanted only one layer of fabric on the bodice instead of just sewing two layers together and turning them right side out as the pattern called for.  So not only did I have to fit the bodice just right, figure out how to change the construction,  then I had to trim the single layer of chiffon in satin bias tape! 

After four bodice cuttings, sweating over inserting a zipper into a skirt and bodice that had 2 layers of fabric  (chiffon over satin), using boning for the first time, and completely cutting out the skirt twice because the first one was way too short, this is the final result:

Getting ready for the dance at her grandmother's house.

She felt beautiful and I was so relieved she liked the dress.   And best of all, she had a great time at the dance!

PS - Total cost of the dress - $27.00.  Her fabric was on clearance - $2.00 a yard.  Had I not purchased a lot of extra fabric, it would have been a lot less.  But thank goodness I did!  It was considered a fall color and they were already putting out the brights for New Year's and prom! 


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress! I saw your link on the Sew Darn Crafty link up party and wanted to drop by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is the hardest pattern I've attempted so far.

      Delete
  2. Love the dress! It looks so pretty. And for $27!! That makes me so happy.

    ReplyDelete