Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Kelly Rae Roberts’ Artwork – Not so Thrifty (For Me)!



Before I restarted my blog, I was reading and journaling with Kelly Rae Roberts’ (KRR) wonderful book, Taking Flight.  It is a fascinating journey of creative self-discovery.  Her questions encouraged me to look closely at many of my unfinished projects – including my then defunct blog.  Needless to say, I found her book inspiring!

Spending so much time with KRR’s book created a connection to her paintings and the stories behind them.  On vacation this summer I was thrilled to find her artwork at a local boutique.  When I returned to the same city later this fall I was determined to buy at least one piece.  I painstakingly narrowed it down to 3 choices, but knew I could not fit the largest and my favorite in my carry-on bag.  The clerk mentioned that all KRR’s work was available from the boutique’s website (with free shipping!)

When I got online to purchase the piece when I got home, KRR’s collection was not on the shop’s website.  Through KRR’s blog I found her online shop.  I was pleasantly surprised when the small canvas piece I purchased was $1 less at the boutique.  I was horrified to see that I overpaid $16 for the other piece!  And if I had purchased the third piece, I would have more than doubled KRR’s price!! 

With today’s technology and the fact that I had been planning to buy the artwork for several months, not knowing the online price was ridiculous.  I only overpaid a total of $15 (approx. 25%), but I learned some important lessons:

**If you know you want to purchase an item on vacation, check it out online before you leave. (Not only because of price, but because you also have to haul it home.)

**Visit the artist’s blog anytime you are interested in their work.  You will feel even more connected to the artwork and you will find further inspiration. 

**And most importantly, when purchasing artwork, try to buy directly from the artist first!  Even if it costs more (I know you can’t believe I am saying that!) supporting artists just feels right.

No comments:

Post a Comment